Our call to be great parents is weighing heavy on our hearts this season. We are surrounded by great Christian families in our church that spur us on to be very intentional with every moment we have with our kids. We are also taking part in a pilot parenting curriculum that is changing the way we view our rolls. No matter what your day job is, this parenting thing is our calling and our ministry. Our kids needs us to shape their hearts before the world does!
Richard and I wanted to sit down and really figure out what we what for ourselves and our kids. We came up with 7 principles that will define our family. We can teach them to the kids and hold each other accountable to them as well. Perfection is not the goal, only humble hearts seeking God's will. Here is what we came up with:
The Thomas family will strive to:
1. Seek after God and His wisdom – Psalm 119:105
· Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
2. Love others well - 1 Corinthians 13:4-5
· Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
3. Have a servant heart – Philippians 2:3
· Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves.
4. Lead – Matthew 5:14-16
· You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven
5. Live without fear – 2 Timothy 1:7 & Deuteronomy 31:6
· For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.
· Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.
6. Be honest - Colossians 3:9
· Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.
7. Be content and grateful – Hebrews 13:5
· Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.
Our church has started a new series called "Behind Closed Doors." The first week was amazing! I really encourage you to listen to this if you are a parent. Well worth an hour of time!
Being a parent is the greatest job on earth, and I think there is no higher calling! Won't you join us in being purposeful for our families? We can raise up a generation of world changers!